Well, I just finished up my 6th season playing Land O' Lakes baseball with the Genesee Rebels. The Lakes league is made up of a bunch of guys, some young and playing college ball, some old and hanging on to past glory, and a lot in the middle, like me, who like to think they are still in the prime of their career. I'd like to THINK that I am in the prime of my career, but my body is starting to tell me that I am not as young as I used to be. At 27 years old, I'm still considered a young buck, but even my pre-30 body needs to be paid attention to if I want to last six more years in the league.
I love playing ball with the Rebels. It gives me a chance to get out and do something for me. It allows me to compete and feed the competitive beast that isn't quite ready to fade into the twilight. It lets me hang out with the guys and get away from "real life". It's what gets me through the winter knowing that, once the snow dissipates and the dirt firms up, the cleats can be laced up, the bats dusted off, and the echo of "Play Ball" once again rings out across the diamond.
I'm not sure exactly what this blog is going to hold for me. Maybe it will be a chance for me to write down stories of the ridiculous and mundane that shouldn't be forgotten or wouldn't be believed unless backed up by fact. Maybe it will turn into nothing but a chance for me to record me off-season workouts in an attempt to keep my body going. I am hoping that it will serve as a reminder to me that, even though Lakes baseball isn't the big leagues and I won't ever find myself jogging out to the mound in front of thousands of fans under the lights of Wrigley or Fenway, it is still baseball and a chance for me to participate in the game that has captivated millions upon millions of fans since its conception in the late 1800's. Baseball is a glorious game that I hope to continue playing for many years. It is a new goal of mine to play lakes ball until Christopher is old enough to play on the same team as me. Chris is 2 years old and I am 27. The minimum age for participation in Lakes ball is 16, so that means I need to last until I am 41. Wow. That sounds old. It starts now though. I won't last that long on hopes and prayers. I need to take care of my body year round so that it can handle the stress of the season.
Only 8 months until I hear "Play Ball" again, so I better get moving!
http://geneseerebelsbaseball.com/index.htm
No comments:
Post a Comment