This summer I threw a lot of innings and it took its toll on my body.
After 61 2/3 innings, my elbow keeps screaming "Tommy John" at me, but I refuse to believe that I need surgery. My shoulder, for the first time ever, took longer to recover than usual and would wake me up at nights falling asleep and tingling as a reminder that I threw over 120 pitches on Sunday.
I experienced my first "knee" injury, which was more of a hamstring issue I think when I found the back of my knee giving out towards the end of the season which caused me to miss a start.
My abs, or I should say "lack of abs" slowed down my rotation and my hip flexors decided that all that exploding was just too much.
I'm not trying to complain, but I want to put this here to remind myself in October, November, December, and January how much it hurt towards the end of the year. How it wasn't as easy as it used to be and that my body needs work. Maybe not p90X work, but work nonetheless.
I found my curveball this year and my changeup towards the end. I can't rely on my fastball anymore, not that I ever could, but I need to keep hitters guessing. My best games came when I pitched backwards and was able to throw 4 pitches for strikes. Need to continue working on the curve and the change to go with the cutter which has been my go-to-pitch for the past few seasons.
ERA .496
Hits 77
Runs 42
ER 34
BB 19
K's 31
AVG .285
WHIP 1.56
Not stellar stats by any means, but they are still serviceable. If I want to continue being the #1 pitcher for the Rebs, I need to get going.
So, Matt, when you read this in late fall or early winter, get your butt off the couch, quit making excuses about kids and work getting in the way and do some work.

No comments:
Post a Comment